A writing tool for students with writing difficulties.First Author Writing Software helps teachers bring writing to students planning to take the alternate assessment - the 1 to 3 percent of students with complex instructional needs, including autism. First Author will help you make these students, who were never expected to write, into first-time authors.
What is First Author Writing Software?First Author is a writing software platform that helps students with complex instructional needs write independently on self-selected and curriculum-tied topics. It does so by guiding students through a three-step writing process: choosing a topic, selecting a picture prompt, and writing with the support of built-in accommodations. It also guides teachers through the process of assessing student writings and tracking progress over time.
Why you will love First AuthorFor Teachers, First Author handles the most time-intensive teacher tasks automatically, making it really easy to use. It allows students to write independently and informs teachers where their students stand in writing development, which helps target instruction.
- Word banks and picture prompts are generated automatically.
- Writing progress is graphed automatically.
- Accommodations are built in.
In research trials, First Author improved writing quality and length even for students who were previously stuck at the "scribbling" stage for years.
Who Needs First Author?Students with:
- Writing challenges who are planning to take the alternate assessment.
- Mild, moderate, and severe developmental disabilities—including autism.
- Physical disabilities that make writing difficult.
- Teach students with complex instructional needs, including autism.
- Teach Handwriting Without Tears to middle and high school students.
- Want to see their classrooms become a classroom of authors.